On November 25, 1881 Shady Grove Baptist Church was organized under a brush arbor near the site of the present church, located at 3240 Tryon Courthouse Road, Cherryville, North Carolina.
Mount Zion Baptist Church was the moving spirit as thirty-two charter members formed a new Baptist church called Shady Grove. Home missionary, Reverend A. L. Stough preached the first sermon using as his text, Acts 12:24, "The Word of God grew and multiplied". Trustees elected by the Church were Mr. I. P. Hicks, Mr. Noah Mauney and Mr. M. L. Hullette.
During the winter of 1881, a one-room frame structure was erected, which was the first church building used for worship. In 1926, the church building was turned to face the highway and additional space was added for Sunday School classrooms and the choir.
In 1949, a new church building was planned and construction began. The church was built mostly by free labor both from members and the community. The new brick sanctuary was dedicated on February 18, 1951.
Land for a parsonage was purchased in 1956 and a parsonage was constructed. Land adjoining the church property was purchased in 1962 for the purpose of building an Educational Building; however, a fire on March 6, 1963 gutted the church sanctuary and these plans had to be postponed. Finally, in 1964, the Educational Building was erected.
In 1979, the church purchased 93.848 acres of land behind the church for additional growth. Growth continued and the Family Life Center was completed and dedicated in August 1992. In 2005, the Family Life Center was remodeled and the staff offices were relocated to this area.
This year, 2014 a new Pastor, Dale Hendricks, has been called to lead the ministry here at Shady Grove. We are anxiously anticipating what the Lord has in store for our ministry together, for our church and for this community.
For more than 125 years now, through the faith, dedication, and hard work of our members, Shady Grove has been a beacon of love and a source of strength and hope to its members and the community. May the Word of God continue to grow and multiply, as our church becomes all that God called it to be.